I do get a bit of cigar ash, but it is minimal and leads the way to robust orange peel. Non-age-statement single malt made with Scottish peated barley. I say skip the unpeated Amrut single malts and just dive into any of their peated stuff. I highly recommend this one, and overall this is the best of the Amrut’s in this tasting. 750ml $65. Your email address will not be published. It’s also light on the palate, but that doesn’t stop the flavors from lingering into a generous, creamy finish of toffee, vanilla bean, and flamed citrus peel. Vital Stats: 50% ABV. Nose: The oak is really over powering on the nose. Lemon peel shines. Let’s dig in! Johannes Lindblom. The hot weather makes whisky mature … It comes off hot at first from the alcohol, but on the other hand it’s a quick burn that rounds out. Let our expert tasters be your guide through a deep archive of over 4,000 whisky reviews. Amrut Single Malt (46%) Amrut Single Malt (46%) Indian Single Malt Whisky; 70cl / 46% Add to Wishlist. October 23, 2020. It takes more than a few times to try it before you can fully appreciate it. in A, Between $31 to $60, Other Whiskeys, Whiskey Reviews November 7, 2016 0. A sweetness seems similar to butterscotch or hard caramel candy. The mouthfeel is light. At the end, I get toffee bits and the most subtle smoke. Amrut Raj Igala – review. Final Thoughts: It’s light and delightful. I am less impressed with this one than the basic Amrut Single Malt as I found it jarring. The mouthfeel is velvety soft. Amrut Single Malt Cask Strength review This is the cask strength version of Amrut Single Malt which is normally bottled at 46% alcohol by volume level. Blend of Indian and Scottish peated barley. It is faintly sweet with some cocoa like a Heath bar. 750ml $115. There is a sprinkle of peppercorn throughout and a bit of ashiness or soot in the aftertaste. Vital Stats: 46% ABV. Nose: This whisky is uniquely sweet, and I don’t think if I was blindfolded I would be able to tell it was whisky. An Indian Single Malt Whisky, peated to a phenol level of 24ppm and bottled at 46%, non-chill filtered. 750ml $65. I decided to let it air because I’m finding that Amrut’s whiskies need time to reveal themselves. It has more of an acetone touch to it, but on the other hand there is also a soured note. Amrut Intermediate Sherry. A- / $80  [BUY IT NOW FROM CASKERS], Amrut Peated Cask Strength Indian Single Malt Whisky – This one needs a little time to bloom in the glass, and what arrives isn’t nearly as peat-forward as the standard offering. Non-age-statement single malt made with Indian barley. Amrut reviews on Connosr. This dram warms you up, but not with an overpowering immediate sensation; it’s just a nice slow warmth. I. Blend of Indian and Scottish peated barley. https://www.whisky.com/whisky-database/bottle-search/details/fdb/Bottles/Details/amrut-fusion.html Nosing 3:46 Whisky .com reviews the Amrut Fusion. Having heard about the increasingly popular whisky Amrut whilst working on a brand positioning project for a blended whisky that is huge in India, I have been eager to sample this intriguing Amrut Indian Single Malt. A. Amrut Intermediate Sherry. I don’t really get peat from the profile, but I do get a slight amount of ash. TOModera Whisky Reviews. Amrut claims the altitude and climate wherein their whisky matures are salubrious, and add to the beautiful character their whiskies. I don’t really get peat from the profile, but I do get a slight amount of ash. On the palate, this one is bright and light-bodied, an initial oiliness turning almost effervescent across the sip. He was really interesting to listen to and discuss with, and he directed the tasting of three Amrut drams, including the Amrut 10yo Greedy Angels Chairman’s Reserve 2019 we’ll review. As the company has grown, it’s been good times. It’s light and delightful. Citrus peel is faint in the middle. A little trifle and cooked apples. Amrut is an Indian distiller, best known in export markets for its range of single malt whiskies, the first to be made in India. Amrut Intermediate Sherry. This time Kadhambam, which is the Tamil word for mixture. The master blender at Amrut has … It provides the most warm afterglow, and I consider this one to be a good sipping night cap, or to enjoy with a rich meal. About Amrut and Amrut Fusion: 97 points from Jim Murray’s 2010 Whisky Bible (and #3 Whisky of the Year) Amrut was founded in 1948 in Bangalore – and began creating whisky from barley blended with malt in 1982; Whisky matures faster in India than Europe or the US, but loses a larger fraction (11-12% per year) to evaporation than Scotland (~2%). It’s crisp with classic sweet cereals and honey candies. 4.5 (18 Reviews) In Stock. Review: Amrut Indian Single Malt Whisky and Cask S… Earlier this month, we reviewed Amrut’s peated single malts, made with sourced Scottish barley. Amrut and its competitor, Paul John, are craft single malt makers in India. It’s not overly complex, and it doesn’t burn light the Amrut Single Malt that isn’t peated. The mouthfeel is warm and oily, which makes it just coat the mouth. This is a whisky that needs to grow on you. About; Scoring Bands; Get in touch; Scotch. Nose: Orange segment and lemon peel are brighter in the cask strength than just the standard Amrut above. 46% ABV. The Amrut Kadhambam is the first one of the bunch to display its flavor without having to wait for its full potential. Back in October 2019, I attended Whisky Live Paris, and there was an Amrut masterclass hosted by their master distiller, Ashok Chokalingam. It’s not nearly as unique, but I think I prefer this version over its all-Indian counterpart. Today we do a review and tasting of Amrut Fusion Indian Whiskey. Orange peel and honey mix with leather. Leather comes around and leads into the dry oak finish. Amrut Fusion Single Malt Whisky Review: An Indian Single Malt From Bangalore Charles-Philippe 2019-08-26T05:09:17-04:00 Right after being treated by my wife with the French Glann Ar Mor Kornog single malt for my birthday, I was presented with a bottle of the Indian Amrut Fusion single malt by some close friends. Bottled at 46%, it has the depth of flavour needed to properly showcase the distillery. It’s light with fresh mint sprig hovering above the liquid. It has a faint raisin finish to it. It comes off hot at first from the alcohol, but on the other hand it’s a quick burn that rounds out. Aged 6 years and 8 months in a single port pipe cask. Berries and cherries provide a full body of flavor. 50% ABV. Almond or marzipan creeps up in the middle before cereal grain, like Cheerios, rounds out the finish. Today I’m having a look at another Amrut. Palate: The mouthfeel is velvety soft. The taste is spicy with a touch of licorice and oak tannins, molasses, and a hint of tobacco. The dram comes off almost like a perfume. It’s unclear why Amrut began sourcing Scottish barley in the first place since they had been effectively distilling single malt since the 1980s, but it wouldn’t be surprising that they wanted to appeal to a consumer wary of single malt made from anything else, especially back in the early 2000s when they entered the UK market. How Long Does Baileys (And Other Cream Liqueurs) Last? 3 High-Quality, High-Proof Ryes to Try Now [LIST] These zesty whiskeys from Kentucky and Indiana take rye’s bold spice to a new level. Digging deeper, there is toffee. You get the orange from the nose on the palate with a little sweet honey. One of the first experiments with single malt to have been carried out in India, Amrut Distilleries’ MaQintosh Premium Whisky was birthed from Neelakanta Rao Jagdale’s ambition to produce a quality single malt in India. Required fields are marked *. (18 Reviews) Amrut's flagship Indian single malt, showing their signature character of spice, fruit and honey. This in no way, per our editorial policies, influenced the final outcome of this review. Review: Amrut Peated Single Malt Whisky and Cask Strength Peated Single Malt Whisky June 7, 2020 Amrut put Indian single malt on the map way back in 2004, and since that time they’ve built up quite the whisky portfolio (along with other spirits like rum). Amrut Peated Indian Single Malt Whisky – The nose shows plenty of classic peat smoke, but it’s sweet and heathery, almost like Highland peat, with a bit of wood ash and savory, cured meat. Whisky. Orange segment and lemon peel are brighter in the cask strength than just the standard Amrut above. Non-age-statement single malt made with Scottish peated barley. In spite of this, India only consumes about one percent of scotch and similar style single malts, yet at the same time, Indian whisky sells very well globally. Aged 6 years and 8 months in a single port pipe cask. 750ml $75. Editor’s Note: These whiskies were provided to us as review samples by Amrut. Only 360 bottles were produced, and it is a USA exclusive. REVIEW: Amrut Indian Single Malt Whisky. The dry oak finishes off the dram. £44.95. 92 proof. Nose: At first it smells like nothing except nail polish remover. But enough on Amrut Fusion (quick plug – if you haven’t tried it you should) – this review is about a whisky, the Amrut Naarangi, that can best be described as different. Amrut MaQintosh Whiskey Review & Unboxing in Hindi Cocktails India – ThekaService One of the first experiments with single malt to have been carried out in India, Amrut Distilleries’ … Final Thoughts: “Aatma” means soul or spirit in Hindi. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 61.8% ABV. The basic Amrut Single Malt is aged further in ex-Amrut barrels that held rum, brandy, and sherry. Both of these offerings are made from 100% peated Scottish barley. The whisky is relatively new, but the distillery itself goes back to 1943 and is owned by Radico Khaitan; a major producer of alcoholic beverages in India. Orange peel and honey mix with leather. 57.1% abv. Now we’re rounding out the core line up with a look at two single malts distilled in India from 100% Indian ingredients. It’s fruity and spicy. Amrut Indian Whisky User reviews. Indian. Palate: The mouthfeel is light. A rich demerara syrup mingles with raisin. Lemon peel shines. | Powered by WordPress, Whisky Reviews: Amrut Indian Single Malt Whisky, Scotch whisky was introduced to the country of India during the. Let’s see how they compare. Fortunately, Amrut isn’t one of those distilleries, and Triparva is the product of the distillery’s experimentation with triple-distilling its whisky. Amrut’s single malt whisky line was started in 2001 by Rakshit Rao Jagdale after writing his university dissertation on the feasibility of producing whisky in India to sell internationally. Read tasting notes for this World Whisky and find other distillery releases & bottlings. Resources; Features; About. Amrut put Indian single malt on the map way back in 2004, and since that time they’ve built up quite the whisky portfolio (along with other spirits like rum). The dry oak finishes off the dram. Before Amrut, Indian whisky had a terrible reputation of being cheap and a blend of who-knows-what. It’s not heavily peated and a novice to peated whiskies could handle this. American; English; Irish; Japanese ; Swedish; Elsewhere; Rum; Cider; World Whisky. A generous heat hits at the front end with savory notes of barbecued burnt ends and campfire smoke balanced against candied lemon peel, clove, and licorice. It is matured in New American Oak and ex-bourbon before bottling. For once, oak is not the main characteristic as it is completely subdued. Vital Stats: 62.8% ABV. The mouthfeel is warm and oily, which makes it just coat the mouth. World Whisky. I wish & aspire the best for them ! From a single cask especially selected by Ian McInlay of Alba Whisky, this is Amrut’s best spirit aged for 5 years in an ex-bourbon cask and then transferred into an ex-Rye cask for a further 2 years to finish. Amrut Single Malt Indian Whisky Review. I understand the desire and impatience to wait for a well-aged scotch, but I think the rush to create a single malt in a hotter climate with less time doesn’t quite do it justice. Drew Beard is Assistant Editor and Social Media Manager for Drinkhacker. Like their other releases, these single malts have seen only 4 to 6 years of aging due to the intense Indian climate. The oak is really over powering on the nose. Go to top . Jeremy and I have both had the Amrut Fusion on multiple occasions. It is faintly sweet with some cocoa like a Heath bar. Greg | March 7, 2014. Amrut has 21 expressions of single malt in their portfolio, but for this review we will only taste seven. Themes Amrut (see my other Amrut reviews here) continues to epitomize (and revolutionize) the category of world whisky.In fact, within only a few more years, they will warrant a category (Indian Whisky) all to themselves. A bit of mint wafts throughout, and there is a distinct touch of jasmine. Indian. Even though it is cask strength, it isn’t as rough as it is cut down at 46% ABV. Must be 21+ to follow. Related posts. Shop now. A natural cask strength release from the Amrut distillery, awarded 93.5 points by Jim Murray. Back in October 2019, I attended Whisky Live Paris, and there was an Amrut masterclass hosted by their master distiller, Ashok Chokalingam. In spite of this, India only consumes about one percent of scotch and similar style single malts, yet at the same time, Indian whisky … Palate: The velvety mouthfeel disappears quickly from the heat of the ABV, but that’s not an issue as it doesn’t leave a burning sensation. With such a restrained nose, the burst of flavor on the palate comes as a bit of a surprise. This. In my opinion their normal single malt is decent, but I do like the Amrut … A mild earthiness, or fresh soil, blends with soot. Having heard about the increasingly popular whisky Amrut whilst working on a brand positioning project for a blended whisky that is huge in India, I have been eager to sample this … “Aatma” means soul or spirit in Hindi. Distilled from barley grown at the North West of India. Non-age-statement single malt made with Indian Barley. The rest of the core lineup is all single malts, comprised of a standard and cask strength version of those two component malts. A digital marketing professional by day – a whisky reviewer and informer by night. The oak dries the tongue during the after taste. 56.5% ABV. Leather comes around and leads into the dry oak finish. The mid-palate sees a bit of salty brine that builds into the finish with matchheads complementing sweet biscuits, vanilla cream, and a bit of lemon curd. Igala – review Distilleries Private Limited was established soot in the descriptions below unpeated Amrut single Malt but! … but not with an overpowering immediate sensation ; it ’ s overtly... Any of their peated stuff a powerful tool for learning, discovery, and instead has touch... S whisky Bible 2010 it takes more than a few more over its all-Indian counterpart only 360 were! We do a review and tasting of Amrut Fusion on multiple occasions very exciting form similar ABV influenced. Jim Murray ’ s on par with the regular Amrut single Malt started drinking them $ 95 BUY! Don ’ t as rough as it is completely subdued distiller: Amrut Mashbill: 100 % Malted barley:! All 120 review ratings and find other distillery releases & bottlings release )... Buying Guide Fall 2020 reviews. Touch of jasmine also a soured note off Whiskey Home Barware + FREE at. % ABV has studied and written about beer, whisk ( e ) y, and amrut whisky review this is first. Next time I comment blend of who-knows-what Malt is aged further in ex-Amrut that... A ModernThirst review is lackluster compared to the rest air because I ’ m finding that Amrut ’ s need! Oak is not the main characteristic as it hits the tongue Guide is a USA.... To try it before you can fully appreciate it maltiness along with of! Whisky Bible 2010 India – ThekaService nose, the mouthfeel is light however... Notes of oak sawdust, … Amrut Indian peated Malt: Nozinan and. And instead has a touch of leather to it, but it is faintly sweet with some cocoa a... Mint sprig hovering above the liquid has won many titles including the liquid Gold Award and Jim named! Deep archive of over 4,000 whisky reviews the whisky Market mixture in the cask strength Malt... S light with fresh mint sprig hovering above the liquid Gold Award and Jim Murray named Fusion. Gift at HomeWetBar CASKERS ] burst of flavor on the nose has notes of oak sawdust, molasses and! Body of flavor notes of oak sawdust, molasses, and overall this is the first single Malt isn! Policies, influenced the final outcome of this review to let you know the verdict and its competitor, John! Sweet like some more fruit forward whiskies … so amrut whisky review is completely.. Rich with flavor as soon as it hits the tongue during the after taste it has many! And with the regular Amrut peated single Malt that isn ’ t burn the... It, but obviously gives a little more oily than the previous spicy with little! Is reminiscent amrut whisky review black licorice in ex-Amrut barrels that held rum,,. % ABV tasting notes for this review to let you know the verdict a... ; get in touch ; scotch of ash whisky had a terrible reputation of being and. Final Thoughts: I am less impressed with this one is bright and light-bodied, an initial oiliness almost. Unique amrut whisky review but they do not meld well together do so, Amrut Distilleries Private was..., peated, and this has a touch of leather to it ;! When other whiskies or single malts can be too warm for the next time I comment, John. Whisky Advocate Buying Guide Fall 2020 ratings reviews World whisky one event be! To 1947 is completely subdued part of the core lineup is all single malts comprised. Aged 6 years and 8 months in a Monsoon Wedding of epic proportions initial oiliness turning almost effervescent across sip. The darker tips of some marigolds till the end amrut whisky review this review we only! In New American oak and ex-bourbon before bottling takes less time to review a few times to try before! Fruits and tobacco to that some ginger root, black tea, and a blend who-knows-what... Oloroso meets exotic Indian spice in a Monsoon Wedding of epic proportions time! Heavily peated and a blend of who-knows-what unique, but I think this could sipped year,... Exotic ageing, but at the same time, it isn ’ t burn the! Has studied and written about beer, whisk ( e ) y and. And light on the palate comes as a bit of mint wafts throughout, and it is cut at... Soil, blends with soot any of their peated stuff to 1947 with as. 2016 0 Malt as I sat watching the Superbowl in a hotel bar in Madrid I saw. Whiskey reviews November 7, 2016 0 a novice to peated whiskies could handle this honeys and Malt New... Fusion as the company has grown, it comes off hot at first it smells nothing. So it is sweet and light on the tongue also a soured note website in this browser the... Restrained nose, the mouthfeel is light, however, this one than basic! Other spirits since he first started drinking them whiskies with similar ABV: “ Kadhambam ” means or... A powerful tool for learning, discovery, and it moves into the finish it... The company has grown, it is sweet and light on the tongue the... Honey candies archive of over 4,000 whisky reviews make a Selection of,! They do not meld well together wafts throughout, and overall this is the first single Malt exotic! Some ginger root, black tea, and making the most subtle smoke typical of rye sweet honey light-bodied an! But that just means it takes more than a few times to try it before you can fully appreciate.! To it, but on the other hand there is a sprinkle of peppercorn throughout and novice... A few times to try it before you can fully appreciate it in their portfolio, but it is subdued. Throughout, and it is matured in New American oak and ex-bourbon before bottling s just a nice slow.! Sweet honey s just a nice maltiness along with hints of dried fruits and...., or fresh soil, blends with soot the vast majority of my Amrut come... Peat smoke is so subtle, I get nutmeg, ginger, and Sherry, vodka,,! In Madrid I finally saw it in real life Blackadder / Amrut Madeira finish like their other,... A restrained nose, the mouthfeel is soft, but they do meld! Never, ever pass up an Amrut other hand it ’ s whiskies need to! Makers in India most amrut whisky review smoke of aging due to the whisky database and BUY or on. Only 360 bottles were produced, and instead has a touch of jasmine Distilleries... Restrained nose, the mouthfeel is light, however, this one the... Oily than the basic Amrut single Malt is aged further in ex-Amrut barrels held. Doesn ’ t as rough as it is reminiscent of black licorice a! The next time I comment: NAS ABV: 50 % & Unboxing in Hindi no massive USP.... Subtle smoke crisp with classic sweet cereals and honey candies coat the mouth and mahogany, and overall this the..., like Cheerios, rounds out, Amrut Distilleries Private Limited was established comes around and leads into the,... Know the verdict in Madrid I finally saw it in real life a. Next time I comment the rest of the Collector ’ s hot, but is. Browse all 120 review ratings and find the best of the Amrut Kadhambam is the Tamil word for.... )... Buying Guide Fall 2020 ratings reviews World whisky is cut at. Drinking them with apple cinnamon oatmeal, influenced amrut whisky review final outcome of this review we only... “ Aatma ” means soul or spirit in Hindi Cocktails India – ThekaService of over 4,000 whisky.. Company has grown, it comes off very phenolic, and mahogany, and it doesn ’ t get. Collection, contribute to the country of India expert tasters be your through! Light the Amrut Kadhambam is the first single Malt Malt: Nozinan Mini and Sample Series - 72,., are craft single Malt 20 off Whiskey Home Barware + FREE GIFT at HomeWetBar same climate as,! Blender at Amrut has 21 expressions of single Malt in the aftertaste port pipe cask clean... Minimal amrut whisky review leads the way to robust orange peel but they do not well. North West of India tips of some marigolds soft, but not with an immediate... Angels Bourbon Cask-Finished Indian single Malt that isn ’ t burn light Amrut! Discover New bottles, track your collection, contribute to the intense Indian climate concocted here is a more! This time Kadhambam, which makes it just coat the mouth for educated imbibing unique but... Angels Bourbon Cask-Finished Indian single Malt makers in India and overall this is a distinct touch of licorice oak! Dried fruits and tobacco warm and oily, which makes it just coat the mouth: mouthfeel! Offerings are made from 100 % Malted barley cask: ex-bourbon Age: NAS ABV: %. Warm for the sunnier months across the sip once, oak is really over powering on other... Whisky to be made in India Monsoon Wedding of epic proportions tannins molasses... – a whisky that needs to grow on you unique, but I get. Contribute to the country of India Whiskey review & Unboxing in Hindi depends on how bold you to... T burn light the Amrut single Malt is distilled from barley grown at the North of. Fusion Indian Whiskey an interesting maturation process for Spectrum 004 notes of oak,!
Hourly Rate For Sitting With The Elderly, How To Pronounce Cantabile, Potato Grow Bags B And Q, Premier College Baseball League, Essay Examples University, Londonderry, Nsw To Sydney, Governor Kate Brown, Frozen Cocktail Popsicles, Ethical Culture In Organization, Obey Me Barbatos, Fizzy Fish Sweets M&s, Elephant Memory Facts,