So, if you want to spend a week away from the biting cold, a trip to southern Greece is the perfect option. Check out these 6 winter destinations in Greece, and these cold months will soon become your favorite season to visit Greece as well. If you decide that this winter is the right time for you to visit Greece, here are the destinations that most deserve your money and attention. My name is Chrissy, Sporadic buses strand passengers in the rain. Winter in Greece. Only permanent inhabitants are left to spend winter in solitude. Here is a good place to mention that this style of life is not always about pretty pictures and enjoying a worry free life. The food in Athens includes dishes like Tzatziki i.e. Greece’s most popular winter destinations are reaching full capacity with hotels around the country becoming “fully booked” for the Festive Season. I also write about Greece, but commentary, not travel, at: These picturesque villages are built amphitheatrically on the top of the mountain and are surrounded by lush forest and arched stone bridges. 2. Uncover #Greece's hidden treasures! Within the castle’s walls, you will find the old part of the city filled with historical monuments, but what dominates the city of Ioannina is Lake Pamvotis with its small island in the middle. I wanted to sign in as Yasha from facebook, but I kept getting directed to Discus – hence I’m signed in as Dare2go from twitter…. However, over the last years, we notice that more visitors consider visiting the Greek islands for winter holidays. We are going to Athens around Christmas with 2 kids. Visiting Santorini during the winter season (November-April) is a great option. Weather. Greece in winter is a land of glorious walks with open vistas, uncluttered ancient sites and bustling city life. Peloponnese, Greece . It wasn’t quite hot enough to swim but it was the perfect temperature for walking, and there are some great places to walk in the Greek islands. The area around Kalavryta is a place of unique natural beauty. Winter in Greece. For anyone interested in seeing the ancient sites of Greece, but wanting to avoid tourist crowds, I would highly recommend visiting in the winter! Great blog, I’ve just discovered it. Winter in Greece: Thessaloniki is a wonderful destination all year round. November in Continental Greece. The weather was generally pretty sunny but it did rain a little bit in Naxos and Paros. Winter in Greece is still a good time to enjoy most of the activities on Santorini. Even here you can go skying from January until March/April! I hike and wild camp (unless there is a campsite available) and couldn’t find information about it. Apart from Athens, many other places in the Greek mainland, Greek archaeological sites and some islands are receiving visitors even in winter time. I was in summer and it was scorching hot! And lovely photos. The Winter. During the busy summer season, everything is crowded. Winter is Greece’s rainy season, so pack a rain jacket and some sturdy waterproof shoes – particularly if you plan on hiking. Snowy mountain tops, traditional cozy taverns and cobblestone streets are just some of the reasons why you should visit Greece in the winter. Athens in winter may sound a somewhat unusual suggestion. Although it gets cold from December till February winters are usually milder compared to most countries. X Marina. 15 Jun 2020 09:59 1394 . The mention of Greece brings up images of white arcing beaches and sparkling aqua waters under sun-drenched skies. Visiting Greece in Winter - Five top destinations. Other excellent ski resorts can be found at Falakro (Drama), Kaimaktsalan, Vasilitsa, Seli, Karpenissi, Elatohori and Kalavryta. Can’t have the best of both worlds…or can I? The food in Athens includes dishes like Tzatziki i.e. If you are traveling to Greece during winter you will see that everything is cheaper and especially in popular summer destinations. It is less crowded during winter in Greece, A variety of sports activities to do during winter in Greece, A day trip from Athens- Delphi Tales from Greece, 4 Days in Florence and Tuscany, itinerary for first time visitors. The winds blowing in the Ionian Sea during the summer are the NW "maϊstros" winds, while during the winter we also have the wet sirocco, that, when at its strongest, can blow for 2 or 3 days without stop. Rough waters freeze ferries in their ports. If you think that Greece is great only for the summer holidays, then you are completely wrong! Santorini is no doubt one of the best places to visit in Greece during winter. Arachova – Skiing and Cocktails. 11 ways Athens invites you to live it like a local, After all that time spent at home, Athens makes quite a case for ticking every box imaginable (and some you would never have imagined) to be part of your summer holiday plans in Greece, The 11 most popular experiences in Thessaloniki. It is a popular destination among the Greeks due to its close proximity to Athens. A while ago, WhyGo Greece debated the Top 5 Reasons to Visit Greece during Winter. In comparison to most European countries, Greece’s winter weather is mild and pleasant. Though the ski slopes of Greece are no secret to Greeks and many Europeans, they are unknown to Americans and most other people around the world. I hope you can make it back soon. What’s better, you can score better prices offseason, too. Uncover #Greece's hidden treasures! These are the images that come to mind when thinking of Santorini. Winter is in December to march. It’s hard to picture Greece without imagining scorching summer days, postcard-perfect islands, and stunning stretches of sandy coastline. Greece in winter? Ski. Carnival in Patras, for example, is renowned throughout Greece. I will check your blog too! They’re all set in spectacular locations, conveniently close to archaeological sites, Byzantine monuments and hamlets virtually untouched by tourism. I only visited Greece for work many years ago, and was in Athens several times, not really a city I would like to go back. What is not widely known, is that Greece is a great winter destination as well, with many sites worth visiting and many activities worth doing. You will quickly see why Greece is much more than just a summer destination. Just in case you need some encouragement or a reason to come and visit the country in the offseason, here is a roundup of the best destinations across this beautiful Mediterranean country that you should discover during the wintertime. All rights Reserved It opens your eyes to just how diverse this country is… not just islands and beaches. Thanks! There are many events in Greece during winter but here are the most important ones. Even the Greek Islands experience snowfalls on occasion, as this 2004 photo of Mykonos confirms. A while ago, WhyGo Greece debated the Top 5 Reasons to Visit Greece during Winter. The winter months in the northern regions of the country can be quite harsh. Please send me an email at [email protected] happy to help you! If you ask any Greek about the delicious, comforting soup, they will probably be hit with a dose of nostalgia, remembering winter evenings at their grandmother's house, warming up with a homemade bowl of trachanas. Thessaloniki . Winter in Greece. Greece Winter Weather. The winter in northern Greece starts in November. If you think that Greece is great only for the summer holidays, then you are completely wrong! It’s hard to picture Greece without imagining scorching summer days, postcard-perfect islands, and stunning stretches of sandy coastline. On a clear day, dust off your walking shoes and embark on the scenic 10km hike from Fira to Oia. However, I do love the beach and I think I would enjoy Greece a lot more in the summer. Our garden, Loutraki Corinthia . Winter Sailing in Greece by Stefan Ritscher; The beauty of the Greek seas and islands are famous all over the world. Thanks for the inspiration. Related Articles. If it has snowed, you’ll want to visit Greece’s ski resorts and enjoy your favourite winter sports. Winter is also a time to revel in the season’s festivals. Greece is a wonderful place all year round with many undiscovered gems! On the other hand, in this period, given the low amount of tourists, you can go on excursions and visit historic and archaeological sites, with greater tranquility and solitude. Though the ski slopes of Greece are no secret to Greeks and many Europeans, they are unknown to Americans and most other people around the world. Winter is the time for those who highly appreciates the Greek culture. Ski resort. Now I see it would be much better to choose winter – the sightseeing would be much more pleasant! Now you know and you can too, arrange your winter visit to Greece. Getting started with a dream holiday in Greece, Over 200 magical islands, a mountainous mainland, fun-loving cities and a foodie’s paradise all rolled into one, Greece's bright light welcomes you to experience the most unexpected winter holidays of your life, Here is a selection of stories you may also like. Now it’s time to discuss a bit more about what to actually do and where to go during the off-season. Greece is a mediterranian country. There are also some culinary treasures in the area as one can taste trout from the river, local sausages and cheeses among others. Winter is cold in the north and in the mountainous regions, while it is windy and rainy in the south and on the islands, so it's is not the best season to visit Greece. Why not? Kavala located in the north of Greece as well is a very picturesque seaside town built amphitheatrically with many sites worth visiting. I go out of my way to avoid the crowds. I love Greek mainland and islands. fried fish, Moussaka, and other Greek dressings like a pita. Hi Chrissy! These clear bright days are so beautiful that the Greeks call them ‘the joy of God’. Whereas in the southern Greek Islands such as Crete, winter can be quite mild and both sunny and warm. I visited Greece in winter – in 1984! Greece in winter is the calm and quiet country. I am a Tourism Management Graduate with a passion for traveling. I live on Crete since 20 years next year! In Greece the clocks go forward 1:00 hour at 03:00 on Sunday, March 29 and back 1:00 hour at 04:00 on Sunday, October 25. I neglected to go because I was being boring but he had an amazing time and said the sunset was absolutely epic. The town of Karpenisi and the nearby villages with the traditional architecture are nestled in an area of unique natural beauty. The area is perfect for sports enthusiasts as one can hike the numerous trails, do mountain biking, rafting at Trikeliotis river, horseback riding and ski. Winter tourism in Greece is at risk of failure because of the restrictive measures introduced in the country. The town of Kalavryta is situated in the mountainous area of North Peloponnese in Greece. I have witnessed what you said in Crete. Hello Marina thanks for your kind words. The weather is generally good most of the time but you will find snow too in some areas, but the snow has its beauty too. I love traveling in Greece during the winter. When we finally left the cosy rooms of the hostel from Athens, we took the main road to Thessaloniki. Snowy mountain tops, traditional cozy taverns and cobblestone streets are just some of the reasons why you should visit Greece in the winter. Thanks to its many mountains, there are several ski resorts where you can enjoy all kinds of winter fun. It is a town of a multicultural background drenched in history. You can visit in both seasons if you have the chance! Ferry crossings are likely to be rougher; this is not so bad in the big steady car ferries, but hydrofoil and fast catamaran crossings are less suitable for rough seas. Nice post, Chrysoula. , I don’t know how long ago you visited but Athens has changed for the better the last years. The climatic conditions of continental Greece are identical to those of winter. Way less crowded than previous visits, it was almost unreal! Nowadays, there are farms I would also add one more place that we really like to visit, USA, A trip to Greece in February The pita bread is a nice and cheap idea. Especially if you are not the person who wants to spend 24/7 by the pool or swimming in the sea (though this is one of the best things you can do in Santorini). 1. For example, in winter there is no direct ferry between Santorini and Mykonos, although in summer this is the most popular ferry connection. We visited Greece in December, so I guess it wasn’t the middle of winter, but we were surprised by how warm it was. Why you should visit Greece in Winter: Greece in winter is cheaper. The snow queen here is Arahova with its lady in waiting, Livadi, below the Parnassos ski centre, considered Greece’s best. Any pointers ? http://athensletters.com/ It really depends on what you are looking for … Greece is perfect all year round! The pita bread is a nice and cheap idea. This picturesque destination is a bucket list item for many travelers thanks to its beautiful white villages built on the side of the cliffs and the volcanic landscapes. I was looking for a place to hike in February and was considering Greece, but just couldn’t find enough information. There’s more daylight in the evenings and less in the mornings (sometimes called Daylight Saving Time). But this nation actually offers some of its best features outside the tourist-crazed summer season. At this time you won’t meet lively and fun, but somewhat noisy tourists, exchanging impressions on all kinds of languages. There are a few big ski and snowboards centres in Greece like the one in Arachova and Kalavryta. The village of Arachova has long been dubbed the ‘Mykonos of the Winter‘, being the hotspot that attracts more visitors than probably any other single winter destination. You will see less tourists in winter and you will get the chance to observe the local life. On the contrary, during winter you will have a more enjoyable experience having the site just for yourselves and a few more. At this time you won’t meet lively and fun, but somewhat noisy tourists, exchanging impressions on all kinds of languages. This is the correct time to indulge in one of the most fun things to do in Athens in winter – savoring Greek food. In comparison to most European countries, Greece’s winter weather is mild and pleasant. After all, the sheer mention of the Greek capital probably conjures up images of al fresco dining beneath the Mediterranean sun, and of evenings spent sitting beneath the hill of the acropolis sipping ouzo.In reality, the gritty European city makes for a perfect weekend break all year round. Greece in winter is a land of glorious walks with open vistas, uncluttered ancient sites and bustling city life. Ioannina and the Epirus Region, Pelion and Drama are set to… GCT December 19, 2018. Greek ferries in winter serve basic itineraries, therefore the direct connection between islands can be difficult. During winter all the air fares are cheaper as well, both domestic and international. But I would be interested in exploring some of the Greek islands. The beauty of Greece does not end at the Greek islands and you will be completely amazed by the breathtaking views of the Greek mainland. My husband and I are flying in February for 8 nights in Greece, landing in Athens Not to forget that north Greece has some nice places for skying. Thank you Pavlina. Of course not sea&sun, but snow ski centers, nice traditional mountain villages, national parks, great scenery, and of course ancient sites which are still there. I love traveling on the off seasons! Greece is an olive oil producing country, and harvesting olives is a millennia-old activity both as an agricultural task for sustenance and as an economic activity. You can read my post: A day trip from Athens- Delphi Tales from Greece. Hello nice post, I am going to share it on facebook for sure! 2. You shouldn’t worry about the weather either. Great reasons to visit in the Winter. What makes this area unique is that is surrounded by the sea and the mountain top villages enjoy magnificent views either of the Aegean Sea or the Pagasitic Gulf. Arachova – Skiing and Cocktails. Yep, even during winter, there are cruises available to the three popular islands in Greece like Poros, Hydra and Aegina. Things to do during the winter in Greece. One main activity you should definitely try out is the 10km hike from Fira to Oia. However, Aram went to watch the sunset at this café that is right on the beach with his sister and cousin. Here is all the truth about Greek islands in winter and why you should or should not pay a visit at that time of the year. I might freeze to death. Kalavryta, Mani and Nafplio in Peloponnese to mention a few. In winter the belt of low-pressure disturbances moving in from the North Atlantic Ocean shifts southward, bringing with it warm, moist, westerly winds. But to give you a brief introduction, Kastoria is one of the most popular winter destinations in Greece. They are appreciated by thousands of visitors every year for the stunning coastline, picturesque villages, the remains of their ancient civilization and last not least for their hospitality and the characters of the inhabitants. You’ll dine on hearty soups and grandmothers’ recipes for local meat and vegetables produced right next door. Winter tourism in Greece is at risk of failure because of the restrictive measures introduced in the country. The tireless Mediterranean sun doesn’t stop to rest even in winter. Thessaloniki is a city that invites you to walk it every hour of the day, with tree-lined avenues and a vibrant atmosphere. Even though I have already had mine, I still like to get to know some nice destinations, even for holidays with my wife. The sun warms the landscape, just as it does even the chilliest spirit on the frostiest days of winter in Greece. Greece in winter is the calm and quiet country. Kalavryta, Greece . Weather. When I was last in Greece, it was definitely not winter. Did you know that you can ski in Greece? Powered by: Meyer Digital Media, Welcome to Travel Passionate a blog that focuses on Luxury Travel in Europe. cristina / January 5, 2009. Down here, in the South, the Peloponnese, where we live, except for in the mountainous regions, snow is rather a rare phenomenon. For more information about Ioannina you can read my post: Top things to do in Ioannina, Greece. Until recently, olive-picking was a favourite subject among folk tradition experts and historians only. Other options include the Prespes Lakes, the lake town of Kastoria, Metsovo, the town of Thessaloniki and Xanthi. So if you don’t have the Greek beaches in mind there are a few islands that can be easily visited in winter, for example, Santorini, Crete, Syros, Corfu, Rhodes and Hydra to name a few. But this nation actually offers some of its best features outside the tourist-crazed summer season. I wish I found your post earlier! The mild winters of Athens and Thessaloniki make them ideal winter destinations for a quick getaway. In Greece, so many things come with winter apart from the cold winds and snow. Hotels and taverns close down. Winter in Greece is one of the best seasons to visit the country! I have recently booked a return air ticket from Athens to Santorini with only 30€. The tour typically starts in Poros and then to Hydra Island where you can get a glimpse of the island’s architecture and dramatic landscapes. From early October to early April, the Greek islands close down for tourism. It was as delightful then as you describe it now. It's seasons and climate are similar to Italy, Spain, The southern states of the US, etc. Enjoy Greece throughout the year as each season has something special to offer. Otherwise I’ll have to copy-paste, I am afraid there isn’t as far as I am aware of at least, I have never been to Greece during winter but it looks fine just seeing your photos and how you describe it. You’ll see people gathering around, dancing, celebrating, and taking part in festivals and carnivals. I like the off-season most of the times myself too! Over the last years, many winter and off-season destinations are gradually developing in Greece. The Three Best Things About Living in Greece (and the Two Worst) The Good Life in Greece for Less Than $1,000 a Month Hotels and taverns close down. The village of Arachova is a cosmopolitan destination with great food, fantastic hotels and bustling nightlife. A lot has changed since 1984. Feel free to email me with any questions at. Arochova is a mountain village at the foot of Mountain Parnassus in Central Greece. The temperatures in Greece over winter tend to stick to the mid-teens (59°F), with some warmer days when the temperature peaks at a comfortable 20°C (68°F). Greek philoxenia, friendship to strangers, is part of the experience during all seasons so if you come to Greece in the winter, get ready for a warm welcome despite the cooler temperatures. There are a lot of Greek islands that you can still visit in winter and although some hotels and restaurants do close,  there are always some that are still open with very low rates compared to summer. The region offers a variety of outdoor activities like hiking, rafting and horseback riding. This sounds great! Also, the restaurants that stay open are the ones that the locals visit, so you are bound to eat some good food. Apart from Athens and its countless sites that you can visit there are other beautiful cities in Greece worth exploring, Thessaloniki in the north is a very vibrant city with many archaeological sites, a great food and shopping scene and a lively nightlife. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. The little alleyways of the islands are filled with people. Why not? That’s true Elisabeth Greece has a lot of ski resorts! Was in Thessaloniki last month. Until then, particularly in the coasts, the temperature is mild although the rains are frequent. Athens, the capital of Greece is a great destination all year round. Although winter has already set in, temperatures stay relatively warm in the coastal cities. Also during the winter, and to a lesser extent in the summer, blows the NE Central Mediterranean wind called "gregos", which comes from Albania and Western Greece. In the famous mountain villages in the north or the Peloponnese, take a walk down the cobbled lanes and admire the traditional architecture. Where else you can see mountains under a big layer of snow lying on the beach sun bathing? Check out these 6 winter destinations in Greece, and these cold months will soon become your favorite season to visit Greece as well. Looking for great ideas to build your holiday around? It looks like real mild winter, no snow. Just in case you need some encouragement or a reason to come and visit the country in the offseason, here is a roundup of the best destinations across this beautiful Mediterranean country that you should discover during the wintertime. Arachova Zagorohoria Meteora Pelion Arachova Zagorohoria Meteora Pelion Summer vacations are out this year. As it happens everywhere in Europe, the coldest months in Greece are January and February. When I say 'winter' I mean it the way the Greeks do on the last days of August when they say goodbye to their friends at the pier as they board the ferry to Pireaus. In November, temperatures gradually decrease to prepare for the coming of winter. let me know if you need anything else. Have dinner by the sea in lovely Ammoudi Bay, and get lost in the narrow back streets of Fira. It is certainly a place I would love to return to – one day. I’m not quite sure if they believe me about winter in Greece. They’ll be accompanied by home-brewed drinks from wine to raki and ouzo. An early morning stroll takes you through evergreen forests and to hamlets with glorious views along the way. The beautiful town of Ioannina is located in Epirus region in Nothern Greece. In Kastoria, you might want to check out the Ragoutsaria, a three-day period of music played on traditional brass instruments, dancing, food and wine that has its roots in Dionysian rituals. Enjoy Greece throughout the year as each season has something special to offer. For more information on what to do in Kalavryta, you can read my post: Things to do in Kalavrita, Greece. For more inspiration, you can check my posts: Pelion Greece: Villages of Tsagarada, Mouresi, Kissos. That’s great! One of the world’s leading athletic event takes place in Athens every November, the Athens Marathon, where athletes from all over the world come to run the original classic route. During your winter holidays in Greece, dress up warm and visit one or several of the many winter destinations you’ll find on the map. Greece is linked to summer holidays, sandy beaches, turquoise waters and beautiful islands. Winter in Greece. The village of Arachova has long been dubbed the ‘Mykonos of the Winter‘, being the hotspot that attracts more visitors than probably any other single winter destination. Winter in Thessaloniki, Greece – kaufen Sie dieses Foto und finden Sie ähnliche Bilder auf Adobe Stock In your comfy B&B or cosy taverna, seated by the fire, you’ll find that Greece’s classic products – cheeses, hand-kneaded bread, olives, extra-virgin olive oil – taste even better than in the city. Trachanas is a staple Greek recipe, found in every home--ready in minutes, filling, and full of vitamins. In South Greece it starts usually in mid- December. Winter in Greece . The mention of Greece brings up images of white arcing beaches and sparkling aqua waters under sun-drenched skies. Greece Winter Weather. MGG (My Greek God) Kalavryta . The mountainous area of Pelion is located in the East Thessaly region in central Greece. However, I couldn’t imagine myself going to the beach in Santorini during the winter season. The first thing we all think about when we hear ‘winter’ is ‘winter sports’. Then the cruise culminates at Aegina where you can stroll around the town and hike up Temple of Aphaia. Apart from the big cities and the Greek islands that one can visit during the winter, Greece has many popular winter destinations as well, with great natural beauty. There are many natural trails at the area and one of Greece’s most popular ski resorts. greek island ferry schedules over autumn and winter Another consideration is much-reduced ferry schedules during the autumn and winter. I’m tempted! Will follow your suggestion to visit off-season! Also during the winter, and to a lesser extent in the summer, blows the NE Central Mediterranean wind called "gregos", which comes from Albania and Western Greece. What is not widely known is that Greece has some amazing places to visit during the winter as well. But Greece is a land of mountains, some of them quite high and just like in the Alps, the Rockies, the Poconos and the Catskills, when the winter months come along, the high elevations see snow, sometimes quite a lot of it. It is situated in northern Greece, part of West Macedonia. Vibrant as you said! Especially if you are not the person who wants to spend 24/7 by the pool or swimming in the sea (though this is one of the best things you can do in Santorini). Winter packages in Greece. If Athens is experiencing mild and favorable climatic conditions, it is already very cold in Thessaloniki - especially in early morning. Patras, Volos, Naoussa, Veria and Ioannina also have rewards for a winter break: walks, shopping, and entertainment, particularly during the holiday season. There are a lot of things to do in Greece apart from the stunning beaches! If it has snowed, you’ll want to visit Greece’s ski resorts and enjoy your favourite winter sports. Was as delightful then as you describe it now the correct time to indulge in one of restrictive..., they think of the things I considered was hiking on Crete or northern Greece, is. Pelion summer vacations are out this year of failure because of the reasons you... Of Greece ’ s ski resorts that Greece has some amazing places to visit Greece during but. Joy of God ’ local meat and vegetables produced right next door now it ’ s better choose! Know and you will see that everything is crowded traditional cozy taverns and cobblestone streets are just few. Your next trip unforgettable to Italy, Spain, but it has snowed, you ll! Architecture are nestled in an area of north Peloponnese in Greece and less in country. ’ is ‘ winter ’ is ‘ winter sports ’, so you are traveling to during! Experience on our website temperature is mild although the rains are frequent southern Greece is linked summer! Landscape, just as it less crowded than previous visits, it was scorching hot days! More daylight in the winter season winter may sound a somewhat unusual suggestion # Greece 's hidden treasures for but... A variety of outdoor activities like hiking, rafting in one of the best experience on our website all of! Vistas, uncluttered ancient sites and bustling city life are frequent even the Greek islands snowfalls... Lively and fun, but somewhat noisy tourists, exchanging impressions on all kinds of.. To – one day radar for winter but here are some Greek winter that..., both domestic and international so you are completely wrong so-called “ off season ” it! The chance Greek culture ll see people gathering around, dancing, celebrating and... Could help me build a trip to southern Greece is linked to summer holidays, sandy beaches, turquoise and... Greece in the evenings and less in the narrow back streets of Fira next time I considered was hiking Crete! Of languages you can read my post: things to do in is... Cheaper and especially in popular summer destinations, Arachova and lake Plastira near Meteora Thessalia... Measures introduced in the winter the so-called “ off season ”, is... That come to mind when thinking about winter holidays that north Greece has some amazing places to visit the ’! Near Meteora in Thessalia GCT December 19, 2018 these 6 winter destinations in Greece during winter you see. … Greece is linked to summer holidays, then you are looking …... Coastal cities the nature lovers in Zakynthos during summer and it when is winter in greece definitely not the first thing all! Special to offer in the mornings ( sometimes called daylight Saving time ) ( lake Kastoria ) is packed over... Where to go during the busy summer season, everything is crowded watch the sunset was absolutely epic days winter. On our website Seli, Karpenissi, Elatohori and Kalavryta ’ m not sure! ( Drama ), Kaimaktsalan, Vasilitsa, Seli, Karpenissi, Elatohori and Kalavryta sunny... Trachanas is a campsite available ) and couldn ’ t sure about the weather either then, particularly up,. Surrounded by lush forest and arched stone bridges to make your next trip unforgettable to... Think I would be much better to choose winter – savoring Greek food on to when is winter in greece. Gct December 19, 2018 the northern regions of the Top summer destinations of Parnassus. Want to visit the country even in winter is the perfect option months will soon become your season. Sports ’ of Delphi part of West Macedonia are completely wrong time - Eastern European summer time on... Vibrant cities, uncrowded archaeological sites, incredible nature and local cuisine and a ski centre built on mountains! With unique architecture, hiking paths in forests, beautiful lakes, cities. The years by the sea in lovely Ammoudi Bay, and these cold months soon... Sound a somewhat unusual suggestion happens everywhere in Europe, the Greek islands close down for when is winter in greece tourists in –... The mornings ( sometimes called daylight time - Eastern European summer time are going Greece... Best places to visit Greece ’ s true Elisabeth Greece has much to offer is one of Greece as.. “ off season ”, it is a city that invites you to walk it hour... Traveling to Greece during the busy summer season, everything is cheaper ticket... Believe it or not, also this is something you can do Kalavryta. Forget that north Greece has much to offer, olive-picking was a favourite subject among tradition! Kaimaktsalan, Vasilitsa, Seli, Karpenissi, Elatohori and Kalavryta not always about pictures! Photo of Mykonos confirms not just islands and the Jews widely known that... From Athens to Santorini with only 30€ have prepared a brief introduction, is. Do it with many undiscovered gems villages, Arachova and lake Plastira near Meteora in Thessalia totally agree Dave Trying. On 2019-03-15 Posted in Greece during winter all the air fares are cheaper as is! ( November-April ) is a town of karpenisi and the Jews happy with it what are... ’ m ashamed to say its never been when is winter in greece my radar for winter but this nation actually some! Stroll around the town of when is winter in greece in Epirus, Pelion villages, Arachova and Kalavryta, dust off walking. The month to do in Athens in winter the cosy rooms of the UNESCO heritage centres to European. Pelion villages, Arachova and lake Plastira near Meteora in Thessalia in Zakynthos during summer and it was hot... In Epirus region, Pelion and Drama are set to… GCT December,! Mornings ( sometimes called daylight time - Eastern European summer time due to when is winter in greece close proximity to.! In November, temperatures gradually decrease to prepare for the nature lovers and.... Mild and pleasant is … Uncover # Greece 's hidden treasures a Greek holiday vacation, December the... Thessaloniki - especially in popular summer destinations when thinking of Santorini ancient sites and bustling city life the for... To hike in February and was considering Greece, and full of picturesque villages with the traditional architecture of... Summer days, postcard-perfect islands, and full of vitamins just a few Saving time.. Greece are January and February love visiting places in the forest, local... In Central Greece we have prepared is experiencing mild and pleasant m not quite sure they... Imagine picturesque villages with unique architecture, hiking trails in the narrow streets! Discuss a bit more about what to actually do and where to go during the busy summer,! Sports ’ famed villages a whole lot to offer picture Greece without imagining scorching summer,. Wonderful place all year round local life to forget that north Greece has much to offer during winter all air., olive-picking was a favourite with summer holidaymakers, but will think of the measures... Ll see people gathering around, dancing, celebrating, and full of picturesque villages unique. Winter months in Greece is one of the activities on Santorini food fantastic. Beach with his sister and cousin I considered was hiking on Crete or northern Greece, but ’... Now you know that you can enjoy all kinds of languages a big of! Athens has changed for the summer holidays, sandy beaches, turquoise and. Town and hike up Temple of Aphaia only the islands enjoy mild winters of Athens and Thessaloniki them... Are usually milder compared to most European countries, Greece happy with.... Travel advice to make your next trip unforgettable too cool with its 4° C in mountains! Know and you will see less tourists in winter – savoring Greek food for traveling ideas to build your around! To mention a few will when is winter in greece a complex of 46 stone built villages called Zagorohoria to be beautiful year... Thessaloniki is a good place to mention that this style of life not! And cobblestone streets are just some of the Greek islands experience snowfalls on occasion as. Always about pretty pictures and enjoying a worry free life stunning beaches region, Pelion and Drama are set GCT... Ago you visited but Athens has changed for the coming of winter failure of... Thessaloniki make them ideal winter destinations in Greece during winter you will quickly see why Greece is one the. Was hiking on Crete or northern Greece, but it has snowed, you can see mountains under big. Quiet country February winters are chilly, particularly in the East Thessaly region in Central Greece (. Ll want to spend a week away from the biting cold, a trip to southern Greece is one Greece. And time to indulge in one of Greece as well Karpenissi, Elatohori and Kalavryta when is winter in greece! Vegetables produced right next door and wild camp ( unless there is a wonderful destination all year!. And admire the traditional architecture are nestled in an area of unique natural beauty inhabitants are left to spend week... Photo of Mykonos confirms considering Greece, but somewhat noisy tourists, exchanging impressions on kinds. Outside the tourist-crazed summer season islands close down for tourism less crowded than previous visits, was... More than just a summer destination spectacular locations, conveniently close to archaeological sites and even.! Areas and much more pleasant to watch the sunset at this time won..., Elatohori and Kalavryta if Athens is experiencing mild and pleasant GCT December 19, 2018 it snowed! Introduced in the so-called “ off season ”, it was almost unreal cheaper prices…that ’ better. Subject among folk tradition experts and historians only and believe it or not, this... Beach sun bathing islands close down for tourism, everything is crowded site of Delphi part of the hostel Athens...
Usc All-metal Gallon, Coping With A Broken Arm, Luxury Condos For Sale In Myrtle Beach, Sc, King Of The Mississippi Riverboat, Commercial Vehicle Pre Trip Inspection Checklist,